February 21, 2009

Chikyu - Deep Sea Drilling

Over the past few months, there was a very sophisticated deep-sea drilling boat docked on Rokko Island for repairs. The Chikyu, one of the world"s deepest drilling vessels, can drill to depths of 7000 meters below the sea bed. The drill is housed in a 3-4 story cable structure that make the boat look more like a floating mini-apartment building.


Right before they pushed off, we heard that they were having an open house and tours of the ship. Mike was interested in checking it out, but when he arrived with some friends the lines were wrap-around lines reminiscent of Disney World! Cars were streaming in. They were bussing people in. And there were tents with food vendors. Apparently, it was a big deal.

He didn't brave the 2+ hour line, but it was neat to get a closer look, and a nice day to walk out there and then walk on back home.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

7000m - fantastic

Unknown said...

I am impaired...I guess I have to do the calculation to figure out what the hell 7000m is!

Unknown said...

"....can drill to depths of 7000 meters....."

Unknown said...

This kind of technology amazes me...I would love to get lost on a ship like this for a day!

Unknown said...

1 day. Be serious. I want 1 month. But nobody invite me ..he he